The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) – An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Climate Smart Agriculture Specialist
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Organizational Unit: FRNIR
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Duration: From 40 – 70 days, spread over 4-6 months
Grade Level: NA
Duration: 12 months
- The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
- The incumbent will work in the FAO field office Damaturu, Yobe state in Nigeria and will be expected to support the implementation of FAO Nigeria emergency programme in the northeast and the overall country programming framework.
- The Climatic Smart Agricultural Specialist reports to the FAO Representative (FAOR) and direct supervision of the Head of Office of the FAO North east office and in close collaboration with the Assistant FAOR Programme
- Contribute to FAO Nigeria efforts in designing and implementation of Climatic Smart Agricultural sensitive programmes
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide technical guidance/recommendations and support the development, implementation and mainstreaming of Climate Smart Agriculture technologies across all FAO areas of intervention including crops, livestock, aquaculture, forestry and irrigation.
- Support liaison with FAO Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) technical officers at the Sub Regional, RAF and HQ, and other CSA practitioners in the country and region to draw good practices and knowledge to inform programming.
- Support resource mobilisation efforts by contributing to concept note writing and providing relevant assessments and evidence based field data in the area of responsibility.
- Support development of Letters of Agreement for implementation of project activities in the area of responsibility and monitor implementation including timely reporting
- In collaboration with the communications team, lead the engagement of stakeholders in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States for operationalisation and wide use of the CSA profiles, CSA Investment Plans and the Cost and Benefit Analysis
- Work closely with the Energy Expert to conclude the development of the CSA Investment Plans and the Cost and Benefit analysis.
- Support the strengthening of partnership and linkages with public and private institutions that generate relevant information and technologies that support CSA including the NiMET
- Support the preparation of quality and timely briefs and reports on FAO programme response in the area of responsibility for internal and external use for clearance by the Head of Office
- Be part of the team at the FAO Damaturu Field Office to support delivery of all programme activities in Yobe State and entire northeast when required.
- Liaise with M&E team and implementing partners to conduct relevant assessments to gather feedback and comments to support programme reviews and improve delivery.
- Contribute to interim and terminal project reporting by providing field data and lessons gathered from the fields during project implementation
Candidates Will Be Assessed Against The Following
- Post Graduate Degree with at least 5 years of experience or Bachelor’s Degree in Agricultural Dciences or related filed with 7 years of experience. Additional qualifications and experience in climate smart agriculture, natural resource management, irrigation will be an added advantage
- Working knowledge of English
- Nationality of Nigeria.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical / Functional Skills:
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience in working in humanitarian context in the field of agriculture and with deep understanding of climate smart agriculture concepts and programming
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with communities and diverse stakeholders in conflict affected areas.
- Familiarity and proven experience in project management and development
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Excellent computer skills, communication, writing and presentation skills;
- Readiness to carry out visits to project sites and duty travel as required;
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in emergency situations with tight deadlines;
- Excellent team-building and cross-cultural skills;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the on-going emerging policy issues in the areas of Agriculture, Food Security, Rural Development, Poverty Eradication and social protection.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and experience in working with a wide range of individuals at high levels in government, private sector and civil society;
- Experience of working with the government counterparts, national or international financial institutions, private sector/ civil society in the field of economic and social development in Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
11:59 pm, 20th March, 2022.
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
- Complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills.
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application.
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application.
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be consideredYour application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile.
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
- If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
Popular Jobs this Week
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Glovo Nigeria
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at GTI Microfinance Bank Limited
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Sophia ERP Limited (SEL)
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Rite Foods Limited (8 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Victory Empowerment Center Microfinance
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at ECOWAS Parliament (8 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at 54gene Nigeria
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Proten International (9 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Achieving Health Nigeria Initiative (AHNi) – (10 Positions)
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Eat ‘N’ Go Limited (7 Positions)
Submit CVs – Latest Recruitment at Intelligent Innovations Co. (11 Positions)
Apply for this Job